Monday, September 29, 2014

Setting up a positive classroom environment

Isn't a classroom suppose to be a fun, safe and learning environment for learners? There must be several steps that a teacher must take first before they decide their classroom layout/design, activities and structure.

Several steps in classroom arrangement:
- Teachers must consider the amount of space in the room.
- Teachers should have a clear view of the whole room.
- Each learning center should be separate and defined.
- Everything should be labeled with large bold words and pictures.
- Set up materials on eye level with students to encourage independence so that students may receive and clean up their materials and place them back in appropriate place.
- Provide a child proof safe environment (safety locks on cabinets with cleaning supplies, plug covers, safe edge corner cushion for sharp table edges).
- Provide age appropriate toys, materials and activities.

These steps may seem simple but some thought must be into the design, arrangement and overall learning environment.

Some websites for guiding a teacher to organize and design a classroom and provide activities for toddlers and elementary school students:
http://www.childcarelounge.com/environments/room-arrangement.php
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top-teaching/2013/09/4-classroom-organization-ideas-really-work
http://www.preschoolexpress.com/toddler_station-anytime.shtml
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/creativity-in-classroom-trisha-riche

The websites listed above are some tips and ideas for providing a creative, active learning classroom. Activities are also a big part of the learning experience. These activities displayed in the preschool express website includes fine motor and gross motor skills, self-awareness, manipulatives, language and social development.

"My goal in the classroom was always to make sure they were having so much fun that they didn't realize they were learning".




Stephanie Oliver- Preschool Teacher

5 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie. I loved how you incorporated pictures and direct quotes on your blog. It was great to read the strategies and safety issues of a early childhood classroom. This is an important issue to keep in mind when setting up a classroom for infants and non walkers. Safety is very important. The easy steps you provided is very helpful hints to keep in mind when setting up a classroom. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie
    I like the layout of your blog. It was very easy to read and offered valuable information. I have found that with my current class that one of the problems that I'm having is space. There isn't enough storage space, as well as classroom space. I feel like the classroom is cluttered with stuff that is needed within the classroom. I know as a classroom teacher that somethings are out of our control and that we just have to make the best learning environment for children that we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri for the insight and Sylvia, I am also currently in a smaller school now with barely little to no storage space. I had to take so many of my materials home and whenever I plan on doing a lesson with those materials I would bring it in it is definitely a pain but I wanted to eliminate clutter. I love the open space of organization. I definitely feel your pain i'm already in a cluttered city Brooklyn, so I love my classroom to be spacious and organized.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog, thank you for sharing! I really like how you made bullet points for things to remember when setting up a classroom, and I also enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are great on your sight. I like how you made quick points to your information of classroom organization. You took a unique route to this assignment. It was nice to see someone outside the box.

    ReplyDelete